Tuesday, August 15, 2017

Matters of the HEART

 I AM A NURSE.

Not just any kind of nurse, I am a psychiatric nurse...to the core. I take pride in that. I never planned on becoming a nurse. It is by far NOT my first career. I have no idea if will be my last Life is strange like that.

When I was beginning nursing school the instructor asked for the students to raise their hands for which field they should wish to follow, Critical Care, Labor and Delivery, Operating Room, Pediatrics, and so on and so forth.  The hands went up. When Psychiatric was mentioned I shot my hand up right quick and my rear end lifted a little out of my seat, as if I wouldn't get noticed out of all the others. I noticed a strange hush. I thought I heard one person giggle, so I looked around, my class.
No one else raised their hands.

I was alarmed. I let out a gasp and said "REALLY PEOPLE?!! JUST ME??? I THOUGHT EVERYONE WANTED TO BE A PSYCH NURSE??? Well, I'll be damned." They laughed, and so it was. I graduated and was employed right off the get go as a Psychiatric nurse and remains so to this day. It is my passion.

The field that bewilders me most, that remains beyond my comprehension is Cardiac. I am in awe of the cardiac nurse. I simply can't grasp it, never could. To me, a broken heart is, well the loss of one's love or purpose or pet. That sort of thing. A longing, an emptiness, a feeling of despair or regret or hopelessness about the fracture in one heart of hearts.

To the Cardiac nurse, it has something to do with atriums and ventricles, sa nodes and QRS complexes... oy vey. I mean I get it, but I don't GET IT  get it. It's difficult.

I have an abundance of admiration for the Cardiac nurse.

In my personal life, the heart is a spiritual vessel. It takes a beating...and keeps beating. sometimes it needs a great deal of healing. I keep rose quartz near my heart chakra at all times. Some people would think that qualifies me for needing a psychiatric nurse more than being one. My personal beliefs have nothing to do with clinical practice.

Often when I meet Mando's new doctors. They quickly come around to the part where they say "So I hear you're a nurse."

I always answer the same "I AM A MOTHER FIRST, nurse second. The mother part is the part you need to worry about."

What does this post really have to do with Mando?

HIS EKG...to be continued

2 comments:

  1. I have much to say but not sure how Nd what.. But I know the words that come out of your being touches mine deeply. I apologize I disappeared from social media but had to delete them so I can focus some more. I still want to give you my chickens as I'm planning on moving forward as of yet. BTW, I had gone out with madukes shopping at a thrift store and saw this beautiful Rose-rose quartz beaded necklace and had to have it for only 7 bucks. About a month later, I realized what it was and to this day I ware it proudly. I cleansed it and put my own spell on it and to my amazement, what I asked for came forward. It was scary at first but now I know how much power every individual being has. I haven't figured it all out, but I'm somewhere I have never been and am enjoying finding my true self. Peace and love for your family Denise!! Thank you for the guidance! ✌❤🌞

    ReplyDelete
  2. Intention is a powerful thing!

    ReplyDelete