Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Water-Watters

It was not yet 12 hours past when we toasted with our ceremonial Eclipse Water that I received a telephone call from Boston Children's Hospital. It was Dr. Watters.

Dr. Watters called to discussed Mando's upcoming airway reconstruction. She herself had spoken with all the other important players in Mando's medical care. Dr. Watter's also discussed Mando again at a conference the evening before ( while we were drinking our eclipse water I presume.)

"I'm just not comfortable with doing a big surgery like that on Mando. If the graft doesn't heal properly due to his leukemia he'll end up with a tracheostomy.  If he has to have a bone marrow transplant they will be in and out of that airway, I'm too afraid it wouldn't be stable. I would like to try going down one more time and see if I can't push it out a bit or remove any more tissue. I want to at least try. We will just have him stay overnight and maybe coordinate a bone marrow biopsy while he's under anesthesia."

"Push it out? DO YOU MEAN DILATE IT?" I could not believe what I was hearing. I had wished for this forever but was told that ship had sailed long ago.

"Yes, that's what I mean. We can give it a try. I guess I was trying to make it more convenient by not going down one more time, but I must take another look."

"I am all for it as long as you are planning on doing some kind of intervention not simply further diagnostics. This is wonderful." I breathed a sigh of relief. "To be honest I am truly terrified of him having the airway reconstruction. If there is any other way, by all means, let's do it!!"

Perhaps it was just a coincidence that things suddenly turned around after drinking the eclipse water.
Mando measured an inch taller in the morning. When the office called to schedule the surgery, my cell phone rang...that phone has been broken for months. It's still working now.
Eclipse Water

4 comments: